Sunday, December 21, 2014

Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend

"The Path is Cleared... and I am Ascending"


I first discovered Yob, when I heard the album, Atma, in 2011, the album got recommended to me by a friend, since I was just getting into the whole doom metal genre back then (which is coincidentally now my favorite metal genre there is). First going into it I had no idea what to expect when I first put the record on the vinyl player. I thought it was just your run-of-the-mill doom metal. But, oh my, I was wrong, by the end of the record, my whole body was blown away, the only thing that was left were my feet. So understandably, when I heard Yob was releasing a new album, I was so excited I shat my pants. And when I first listened to Clearing the Path to Ascend, I shat my pants so hard it made me fly through the roof, no exaggeration... (okay, maybe a little exaggeration.)

It all begins with ''In Our Blood''. It starts with a watery guitar intro, and you just wait... just wait for that glorious moment when guitar, bass and drums all hit in at the same time, and the waiting is worth your while. It sends cold chills my spine every time I hear it. And when the wet, reverb-filled vocals begins, you know you have come to the right place. It falls fits together really well and sends your mind to a place above the skies.

The entire album is an ode to all that is slow and heavy. The production is damp, like the weather before a thunderstorm, and features a prominent bass (played by Aaron Rieseberg) which makes the music massive and entrancing. The drums are slow and trudging, they almost feels intimidating, like an elephant is on a rampage and out to get you. The snaredrum has a nice bang-sound, which I like, it makes you feel like you have been hit by a train. And the cymbals sounds like they are being smashed with a hammer, they stand out like they do on most of Yob's records.

The vocals, performed by band-leader Mike Scheidt, are filled with morose and anger. They really intensify the music a lot more. I love them, but the only thing that is sub par to his vocals, are Scheidts guitar skill. He is a riff-machine, every riff he conjures up, ends up destroying everything in its path. The main riff of the song ''Marrow'' is undeniably the most depressing, yet beautiful riff that has ever come out from his mind, I am in total love with that song. Combine that riff, with his vocals and you got yourself one hell of a song.

I have listened to many doom metal bands since I first got recommended Yob by my friend, but Yob is one of the bands I can always come back to, without getting tired of their music. The combination of the production and musicianship of Yob is something any metal fan should experience at least once. Because when you hear them once, you can never go back, the riffs and beats will stay in your head for days, which doesn't happen that often with me. Listen to this album, and embrace its glory.

Rating

9.3